I've been keeping track of certain statistics in the grand tours for a while now.
I just updated the table with the 2010 results.
A few observations:
- The correlation between prologue rank and final gc rank was lower than any year I have
calculated it for, with the exception of 1997. This might be a result of the limited time trials and/or the rather intense mountain stages.
- The percentage finishing, 87%, was the same as last year, and ties the record among the
years I've calculated. I am a bit surprised at this, since it seemed like there was a particularly large number of crashes. Perhaps there was less illness?
- The winning margin and the 10th place final gc gap were both rather small. Does this indicate an "easy" tour, or a hotly contested tour?
- Petacchi won the green jersey, with the lowest GC ranking since at least 1994.
- Charteau's KOM win makes three years in a row with the KOM winner not winning a stage.